1. Some people believe that it is necessary to______capital punishment.
a) bring back c) carry on
b) bring about d) give down
2. When you______writing the project, do not forget to
consult the dictionary.
a) get back to c) go over to
b) get down to d) set off to
3. Jane has______many troubles last year, but she remained confident and persistent.
a) gone to c) got through
b) stayed up through d) gone through
4. The play was______by the sudden illness of the leading actress.
a) held on c) held up
b) held through d) held over
5. If you do not need the book,______to the library.
a) take it up c) take it through
b) take it back d) take it down
6. Many people are______by false promises to make them
a) taken in c) taken over
b) taken through d) taken back
7. The company______five new employees every year.
a) takes on c) holds on
b) takes up d) carries on
8. When the fire broke out, Mary was the person to______ the situation.
a) take on c) hold in
b) take over d) get on
9. The burglary has nothing______Susan. It is unfair to accuse her of it.
a) to do away with c) to take after
b) to bring about with d) to do with
10. The professor refused to check Jane's test because he could not______her handwriting.
a) go through c) make out
b) make up d) make for
11. The government should ______ crime.
a) do away with c) make out with
b) do with d) make away with
12. Elisa______her flat. It looks very stylish now.
a) did for c) made up
b) did up d) made away with
13. It is difficult to______how you feel when you are in
a) get through c) get across
b) get around d) get back to
14. My business makes me______a lot. I have been to many countries.
a) get around c) get across
b) get back d) get over
15. Fortunately, all of my classmates______university.
a) got over to c) got into
b) went over to d) made for
16. Sarah______fine with everybody in the group. She is easy-going and communicative.
a) gets after c) makes on
b) gets on d) holds on
17. The manager promised to______the contract as soon as possible.
a) draw out of c) get through
b) draw up d) come along with
18. Mary______the details of the contract and only then
agreed to sign it.
a) figured in c) found in
b) figured over d) figured out
19. When I was walking in the park, I______an old friend.
a) ran across c) ran into
b) passed out d) ran up
20. The company is still______the project of the new advertisement.
a) talking over c) watching out
b) talking in d) putting out
21. Jane won't______the details of the plan, we can trust
a) give up c) talk over
b) give away d) get into
22. We_______the afternoon to the discussion of the new film.
a) gave on c) gave over
b) went on d) held on
23. Dictators like him rarely______without a fight.
a) go down c) give over
b) make for d) pass out
24. How can we______solving this problem?
a) go about c) make up
b) go down d) take on
25. On seeing the owner of the house the thieves______the window.
a) made down to c) went for
b) made for d) took to