1. She said that she______keen on drawing.
a) was c) has been
b) is d) were
2.1______her that I______time to play the piano.
a) told, have no c) told, did not have
b) tells, did not have d) told to, had not have
3. Jane answered that she______very early, so she______ the news.
a) went to bed, hadn't seen
b) had gone to bed, hadn't seen
c) has gone to bed, hasn't seen
d) had gone to bed, didn't see
4. Mary told me that she______to leave for London the
a) is going c) were going
b) has gone d) was going
5.1 replied that I _____ her when I______back.
a) will phone, got
b) would phone, got
c) will have phoned, will have come
d) is to phone, get
6. Mary said that Paris______beautiful in spring.
a) is c) was
b) has been d) were
7. The teacher______a report on the Civil War.
a) told Jane to make c) told Jane make
b) tell to Jane to make d) told to Jane to make
8. Jane______worry about her health.
a) ask to me not to c) asked me not to
b) asked to not d) asked not
9.1 said that I______if I______time.
a) will go, have c) would go, have had
b) would go, had d) will go, had
10. Mary answered that she______wake up early in the
morning when she was young.
a) did get used to c) gets used to
b) is getting used to d) used
11. Jane told me______calm.
a) to stay c) to have stayed
b) stay d) staying
12. I am surprised to see you. Your mother said you______ ill.
a) were c) has been
b) are d) had been
13. She said that Mary______into her flat because she
a) cannot get, lost c) couldn't get, had lost
b) couldn't get, has lost d) can't get, was losing
14. Jane told everybody that she______a meeting______.
a) had, tomorrow
b) was having, tomorrow
c) will have, the next day
d) was having, the next day
15. Mary told me that writing a test______her nervous.
a) is making c) will make
b) made d) make
16. He said that he______in America for two years.
a) lived c) had been living
b) had lived d) lives
17. They said that we______when Mary______.
a) would leave, came c) will leave, came
b) would leave, comes d) would leave, had come
18. Jane told me that Africa______than America.
a) was nicer c) is being nicer
b) has been nicer d) is nicer
19. I told everyone that I________to the party at ten, but ______as soon as possible.
a) couldn't come, would arrive
b) can't come, would arrive
c) couldn't come, arrive
d) can't come, will arrive
20. "How are your parents?" she asked. I answered that they ______ very well.
a) were c) have been
b) are d) were being
21. — The play is boring. — Is it? 1 thought you said it______exciting!
a) is c) was
b) were d) had been
22. Mary told me that she______Helen in the park and that she______fine.
a) saw, had seemed c) had seen, seemed
b) had seen, had seemed d) has seen, was seeming
23. He said that his car _____ a few days ago.
a) was stolen c) had been stolen
b) has been stolen d) is stolen
24. Jane told me that I______at her house if I______ever in Paris.
a) could stay, was c) can to stay, was
b) can stay, am d) could have stayed, was
25. Mary answered that she______the next month.
a) is married c) was marrying
b) was getting married d) is marrying