1. Ellie exclaimed that she______that car since her farther gave it to her and that there had been no complaints.
a) had driven c) drove
b) had been driving d) was driving
2. Vie said that they knew only what was in the papers, that they______for a call or a telegram since they heard of the accident.
a) waited c) had waited
b) were waiting d) had been waiting
3. Norma said that the old car had broken when they______ the bridge.
a) has crossed c) crossed
b) had been crossing d) were crossing
4. She said she couldn't go in the water because she______ her swimming suit.
a) had not brought c) hasn't brought
b) didn't bring d) will not bring
5. She said that my shoes were wet through and asked if I ______all the way from the station in that rain.
a) has walked c) walking
b) had walked d) was walking
6. The old teacher advised me to speak slowly if 1______ them to understand me.
a) had wanted c) wanted
b) want d) would want
7. It was announced that the international treaty against the new warfare______and had gone into effect.
a) would have been ratified
b) is ratified
c) had been ratified
d) was ratified
8. The Navy officials said that the dolphins______in salt water holding tanks.
a) will be kept c) are kept
b) would be kept d) will kept
9. Nobody can explain why she decided to touch upon the matter yesterday night. She______that the whole subject was too dangerous to discuss at night.
a) ought to know c) ought known
b) ought to have known d) ought know
10. It has recently been announced that further supplies ______soon be available.
a) will c) were
b) would d) are
11. She wondered if Stephen had found that the room was empty and if he______for her at the moment.
a) looked c) was looked
b) had been looking d) was looking
12. The receptionist told us that from our room we______a wonderful view over the sea.
a) will have c) would have
b) were going to have d) were having
13. Miss Marple replied that she______surprised at seeing the doctor depart.
a) is not c) has not been
b) won't be d) would not be
14. The receptionist explained that breakfast______served between 7.00 and 9.00.
a) is b) is being
с) was d) was being
15. The guide reminded us that after lunch we_________ sightseeing.
a) go c) went
b) were going d) would go
16. Lis assured me that the party______a great fun. But in fact, it wasn't.
a) will be c) have been
b) would be d) will have been
17. He inquired if I really______anything about the matter.
a) know c) had known
b) knew d) will know
18. The inspector wanted to know when each of us last______ Mr. Foster.
a) saw c) would see
b) had seen d) had been seeing
19. The Managing Director declared that during the previous year the company's profits______steadily______.
a) have been increasing c) had increased
b) had been increasing d) increased
20. The hotel owner informed us that he______the police already.
a) is going to call c) was going to call
b) has called d) had called